Lab00 - Introduction to VM and Linux Terminal¶
- Have you joined SCELE Operating Systems?
- Have you joined SCELE Arsip?
- Report through SCELE Technical Problem should you find any problems!
- Remember, Uncle G is your friend!
- Boot your PC through ltsp (don't press any key during boot)
- Login using your account
- Open terminal and ssh with username mhs1xx on os1xx machine (Change xx with your assigned VM number).
$ ssh email@example.com
- Change your default password.
- Input the current password (mhs1xx) and the new password twice.
- Let's login as admin and update the apt-get list.
$ sudo su $ apt-get update
- Make sure that the Linux in the VM has these programs:
- gcc : Compile C & C++ code
- pdftk : Create PDF documents
- gnupg : Create digital signature (gpg)
- rng-tools : Emulate random bit generator quickly for gpg creation. For details please see this page
- JRE & JDK : Java programming. For details please see this page
- openssh : Connect through ssh port
- tar : Handle tar archive
- bash : Scripting syntax
- vim : text editor
- mdadm : create RAID drives
- zip : Handle zip archive
- bzip2 : Archive using bzip2 format
- Still in admin mode, add your own username that consist of your SIAK username (and thus password) to the VM as a sudo, so that in the next lab you will login using your own user. Enter the password you want when prompted.
NOTE: We recommend using your SSO Account username and password so that you won't easily forgot either your username or password in the machine.
$ adduser your_username $ adduser your_username sudo
- Exit from the current connection to your VM
$ exit $ exit
- Re-login to your VM using your new username. Enter password when prompted.
- Make sure the programs above still work in your username.
- Open the terminal in your VM and do the Basic Linux Tutorial
- After that do the Basic vim Tutorial
- Make sure your Lab00 directory has all files to be submitted. Files to be submitted: dirlist.txt, NPM.txt, other files for pemeriksaan if needed.
- Back out from Lab00 directory
$ cd ..
- Put all files in Lab00 directory into KELAS-NPM-Lab00.tar.bz2. For example my class is TESTING and my NPM is 1202000818, change with your CLASS (A160, B160, C160, D160, E160, EXT160) and NPM.
$ tar cvjf TESTING-1202000818-Lab00.tar.bz2 Lab00/
- Copy the tar.bz2 file to your ltsp. For example using filename before and change username to your username used to login into ltsp. Enter password when prompted.
$ scp TESTING-1202000818-Lab00.tar.bz2 firstname.lastname@example.org:TESTING-1202000818-Lab00.tar.bz2
- Your copied file should be located in your home folder in ltsp. Next Submit your document to Scele.
- Each student must also contact an assistant to give demo on his/her virtual machine.
- That's it, folks. Have fun for the rest of the week.