Basic Linux Commands (revision 130718-r01)¶
- General Pattern: command space option space target
- cd [directory_name]: enter directory [directory_name].
- cd ..: exit one level from current active directory.
- chmod [option] [target_name]: change file or directory access permit (read, write, execute).
- *chmod -700 [file_name]: change the file access permit (7 for ourself which means we can read, write and execute, first 0 for group and second 0 for public which means no access at all).
- ls: list current directory content.
- ls -al: list current directory content with detailed status.
- command > [target_file]: do the command, and insert the result to [target_file].
- mkdir [directory_name]: creates a new directory named [directory_name].
- more [text_file]: see the content of [text_file].
- rm [file_name]: delete file [file_name].
- rmdir [directory_name]: delete directory [directory_name]. This command can't be done if directory has content.
- rm -rf [directory_name]: delete directory [directory] and all the content.
Basic Linux Tutorial¶
- Do the tutorial in Terminal in your Tiny Core in Virtual Box.
Assumption: in the end of each command, you press Enter key on your keyboard.
- List your home directory content:
$ cd $ pwd $ ls $ ls -al
- Create a new folder named kuliahos in your home directory. Type:
$ mkdir kuliahos
- Create three sub-directories in the kuliahos directory. One of the directories is your NPM. Type:
$ mkdir kuliahos/1202000818/ kuliahos/test1/ kuliahos/test2/
(change 1202000818 with your NPM!).
- Enter directory kuliahos and list the content! Type:
$ cd kuliahos/ $ ls -al
- Delete folder test1 and test2. Type:
$ rmdir test1/ test2/
- Please check the rest of the folder content. Type:
$ ls -al
- Go into your NPM directory. For example:
$ cd 1202000818/
- Create a new directory named Lab00. Type:
$ mkdir Lab00
- Go into directory Lab00.
$ cd Lab00
- New let's try to insert ls-al command into a file named dirlist.txt.
$ ls -al > dirlist.txt
- See the content of dirlist.txt
$ cat dirlist.txt
- Change the access permit of kuliahos to be accessible by anyone, but dirlist.txt can be accessed only by you.
$ chmod -R 755 /home/tc/kuliahos/ $ chmod 700 dirlist.txt $ ls -al
- You'll see the access permit change in front of the dirlist.txt line.
- Now we will se the IP that is given by Virtual Box and put it in dirlist.txt.
$ ifconfig $ ifconfig eth0 >> dirlist.txt $ cat dirlist.txt
- Exit directory Lab00. You will return to your NPM directory.
$ cd ..
This is the end of Basic Linux Commands Tutorial.FAQ:
- Q: Haelp me Superman! I was strolling around directories in Tiny Core and now I'm confused on where my home directory is!
A: Your home directory is /home/tc/, access it with:
$ cd /home/tc/
Or just close the current terminal session and start a new one.